Friday, June 17, 2016


To All the Dads “Doing the Most” this Father’s Day- A Word of Encouragement 

​(SOL 293)- It’s payday Friday and I am working from home today, waiting for my last conference call of the week. My son is still sleeping. I just finished the dishes and started our laundry after rushing home last night from a business trip in Dallas. My colleague told me on my drive home that it looked like I was running out of there yesterday. I apologize for that but my 16 year old son, who I left at home by himself, (only a 4 hour drive away, but a calculated risk for sure), had just called me to ask when I was coming home and if he should cook himself dinner or wait for me.

I think every good parent has that constant sense of "Am I doing the right thing here? Am I making the right decisions and choices, for both of us; Am I 'Doing the Most?" I find there is a constant drive to do the best for your kids, to see them do well, prosper and be happy with the lives they lead.

I told to him to eat a snack, (for him: 4 corn-dogs and a frozen pizza!) but I would bring him dinner. This is my first year as both Dad and Mom and I am still not quite sure if “I am doing the most.” Of course I am making some mistakes along the way but I am slowly figuring things out. I am still learning to cook a variety of meals so we tend to favor high volume fast food from time to time for both economy and efficiency.

​After the 5:45PM Dallas traffic, I made it home about 11:30PM with a bag of burritos, to my waiting son, who both hugged me and carried in my luggage. Though the house was a mess, and I don’t think he showered more than once since I left last Sunday, he hugged me again as he grabbed four burritos. I grabbed him tightly, kissed him on the forehead,and watched as he headed off to his room as 16 year olds tend to do. 


Later, I could hear him laughing loudly online with his friends, and as I crashed on the couch among the clutter, dirty dishes, and full garbage can; I realized, at least in this moment, it’s OK to rest for a minute, to give myself a break from the guilt of "never enough" because that sound says; “You are indeed, “doing the most,” and for now that is indeed enough

To all the other Single Dads out there doing the most, we don’t hear allot about us, you don’t get allot of credit, but I salute you, it’s certainly not easy, but when you hear the sound of your kids laughter, it’s worth it. Have a great Father’s Day! -Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment