Sunday, June 16, 2013

The Paterfamilias-The First Car


Pa·ter·fa·mil·i·as- 

 noun \ˌpa-tər-fə-ˈmi-lē-əs,ˌpä-, ˌpā-\


Definition of PATERFAMILIAS


: the male head of a household

: the father of a family

: a man who originates or is a leading figure in something (as a movement, discipline, or enterprise)



This is my 24th Fathers Day. I have yet to win Father of the Year. 24 times, I began my day reflecting on the quality of my work and role as a father the year prior. Most of the time I found myself lacking. Not today. Now, I won't claim the title this year either, but I am getting better!

Today, I get to create a moment that a father idealizes from the moment he becomes a father, the first car. 


I was not in a position in my life to be able to provide or even contribute to my first two daughters first cars. I felt guilty that I could not be part of that moment but I was grateful they didn't go without. Their step-dad, Dan made sure they had what they needed and continues to do so to this day. Gratitude, (though it barely expresses the sentiment.)  


My step-daughter Savannah is as close to me as any of my own children. She turns 16 this October. Yesterday we found a great deal on the perfect car for her and we bought it. We are giving it to her today, Fathers Day. 


I am currently basking in my success as a father and I am trying to come up with a creative way to give it to her tonight at dinner. However, I still feel a twinge of guilt for my past failures to measure up to the moment. 


Today I will celebrate my moment, a symbolic achievement of fatherhood, and instead of dwelling on my past failures as a father, I will pay it forward. Father, Step-Father, first chance or second chance, there's always some reason to feel not good enough, but not today. 


To all my kids, I am sorry for all the times I let you down, was not the man, father, or example I could have been. I know I can be a better father, but I think you guys got pretty lucky, all things considered, I might be turning into a good dad after all. 


Love you all with all my heart.                 

Dad/Joe    





2 comments:

  1. Follow up; We gave it to her after dinner. We took it and parked it in the parking lot where we were having dinner and tied red bows to the grill and aerial. We went to dinner later and parked in a parking spot across from it. She noticed it and we pointed out maybe someone was getting a gift or perhaps it some cheerleader. When we returned to the car, instead of pressing the key FOB for our car, we kept pressing the one for hers. It didn't take long before Sav figured it out. She was truly surprised. A great life moment for both of us.

    ReplyDelete