Saturday, October 26, 2013

Football Dad

Joseph and I got up early this Saturday morning and went to the Waffle House for a game-day breakfast. Today is the last game of the regular season in recreational youth league football. The team plays the undefeated, number one team in the division. He will have a couple more weeks of post season tournaments and then it will be over.

From 3rd grade to 7th we have strained our budget for sign up fees, new cleats and uniforms and ever bigger equipment. We rearranged our lives and adjusted our work schedules for football practice and Saturday games, home and away.

I underestimated how I would feel the first time I watched him run onto the field. Like many football dads, I've offered unsolicited coaching before, during and after the game. I share in his victories and I have shared in his pain in defeat and injury. He is a much better player than I ever was. I crave sunflower seeds but only at his practices and games, I have discovered its a great way to keep my mouth shut.  

It's been a great experience, I think I will miss it. Win or lose today, it's a good day to be a football dad.    

No comments:

Post a Comment